Tuesday, April 13, 2010

This can happen...

Before leaving the Oasis campground we had to take a few shots of this classic fifth wheel. I have no idea what model or year, but it looked old.
Norm especially liked the innovative window work. I would have used duct tape.
I am resting up and taking a big breath (a couple of them) from our visit of Arkansas City Kansas. We had been using the GPS for navigation and really had no way of knowing that one of my worse fears about travelling in an RV was about to come into view. After going straight, instead of turning left, I could see it coming into view and instinctively let off the throttle and began to slow. A railroad overpass, just the top part of it. We are travelling east on a residential street, and I can begin to see the height limit sign. Does that say fifteen feet six inch's or twelve feet, six inch's? Yikes! It reads 12' 6" as I come to a stop. My wife, my partner, my navigator, the one person that I expect to have my six and keep me out of trouble, looks up from filing her nails, and says, "What's wrong?" What's wrong I want to scream, " I have to back up and turn around in this neighborhood! That's what is wrong! Why were you not watching for this?" But I said, in a meek and embarrassed voice "We're too tall." We took quick action, seeing that with a short swing maneuver, which we had recently learned, from The Long Long Honeymoon blog, we backed into an old service station garage and high tailed back to the main road. We made the whole procedure look easy, I made it in one shot with Norm's direction using two-way radios for communication. After a 25 minute tour of the city, we finally made it to the road we wanted to be on by passing over the railroad tracks. This trip has been one new adventure every time we move!
"What?"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: